Tuesday, February 01, 2011

I love Food... Day 45

In retrospect for me the first 4 weeks of the diet was pretty easy. There were highs and lows, but my will power was strong. For me week 5 (last week) was a major turning point. I was sick and in bed (or couch) for 4 days. During that time I watched my favorite television network almost the whole time... the Food Network.

The last day it hit me... I love food. As a creative palette... food is exciting. All the flavors, all the combinations, all the possibilities. I am not someone who follows recipes, but the essence of them (which is why I am NOT a baker, but a cook). Over the last week I have experimented with making my own taco seasoning for some turkey tacos in lettuce leaves. I made a cinnamon applesauce from stewed apples. I made a grilled asparagus frittata. Each was sooo fun to think up and try and tasted pretty good.

The hardest part is that I am so restricted with this diet. I am hungry for new flavors, more cooking options, carbs, sugars, etc. I am dreaming up recipes and about cooking. But also finding it harder and harder to be around food. I am so thankful that this diet has bubbled up this passion... I cannot wait until it can be unleashed. I have decided to start having a dinner party once a month. I want to do healthy options, but also try new things that I have never cooked before. I always want to invite different people over who I do not get to see anymore. I am going to start with an International theme and at least 3 courses.

Below are some sample menus... let me know if you want to come to one (and which one) and I'll make sure to invite you to it. :) I can only have up to 6 people at the party... so let me know ASAP if you want to come.

Sample Menus:

Italian Night-
App: Bruschetta
Soup: Vegetable Minestrone
Salad: Caesar Salad
Entree: Spaghetti Bolognese
Side: Rosemary and Sea Salt Focaccia
Dessert: Lemon Sponge Fingers

Asian Night-
App: Spring Rolls
Soup: Egg Drop Soup
Salad: Pineapple Ginger Noodle Salad
Entree: Pork and Chicken Adobo
Side: Balsmati Rice
Dessert: Mango and Ginger Clouds

French (which is what I am most excited about)-
App: Cheese Platter
Soup: French Onion
Salad: Duck Breast Salad
Entree: Chicken Cordon Bleu
Side: Ratatouille Pancakes, Vegetarian Cassoulet
Dessert: Have a bunch to choose from here... thinking... creme brulee, chocolate souffle, cinnamon and apricot souffle, eclair (not all of them, but one)

Still working on the Greek, American, and Mexican menus.

No comments: