Saturday, July 01, 2006

Nugget of Truth: A Lot Like Love

Ok... this is a new series I am going to do. On my old blog I would do movie reviews. On this one I would rather do what I will call "Nugget of Truth". That's nugget like golden nuggets... not chicken nuggets. I find that no matter how stupid or silly or poorly made a movie is... there is usually a theme or line out of it that speaks God's truth... or atleast gets me thinking about God and I would love to share that with you. Note: If I choose a movie for the Nugget of Truth column... that does not always mean I recommend the movie. Just to be clear. So here is your first "Nugget of Truth".



A Lot Like Love
There is a part where Emily and Oliver are lying on the front of her station wagon in the desert. The exchenge starts with Emily and Oliver asking if the other loved their last boyfriend/girlfriend. This is the moment where the title for the movie comes from because Oliver says, "I thought it was love. If it wasn't, it was something a lot like it." That is a great line... but our "Nugget of Truth" comes a few lines later. Where Emily says to Oliver, "Honestly, if you're not willing to sound stupid, you don't deserve to be in love." I love this line.

I know people who love God deeply, but when He asks us to do something we could consider a little "stupid" we reject it. Think of what Moses thought when God told him to walk up to Pharoh and say "Let My people go." How silly did it sound to walk around a fortified city blowing trumpets for 7 days? Yet God won that battle. The truth of the gospel may sound stupid when presented to those who do not know Him. But I will continue telling it... b/c I love God.

"We are fools for Christ, but you are so wise in Christ! We are weak, but you are strong! You are honored, we are dishonored!" - 1 Corinthians 4:10

Thank you for reading this edition of Nugget of Truth.

3 comments:

Janine said...

congrats on the new blog! I'll keep checking back.

Danielle said...

Gee, Tina...lots of photos of men on your blog. I'll be back! ; )

Unknown said...

great work!