Friday, April 27, 2007

Nugget of Truth: Much Ado About Nothing

Ok... it has been an extremely long time since I have done a Nugget of Truth. People have been asking for one, so I went back in time to my favorite film in high school for this installment. In this classic comedy/love story by Shakespeare, Kenneth Branagh directs and stars along side his then wife (and one of my favorite actors of all time!), Emma Thompson. The story is filled with some of the most clever sarcasism and wit. Which explains why I love it! In the story the others decide to trick Branagh's character, Benedick, into falling in love with Emma's character, Beatrice. There is a point where Benedick gives a list of traits that a woman must have if she is to win his heart:

Rich she shall be, that's certain.
Wise, or I'll none.
Virtuous, or I'll never cheapen her.
Fair, or I'll never look on her.
Mild, or come not near me.
Of good discourse.
An excellent musician.
And her hair... shall be... of what color it please God.

It's not quite Proverbs 31. We all have or had a "list". Whether it was written out or even vocalized, we all have desires and expectations when it comes to choosing who to date and marry. Why is that? Is that what having "chemistry" is all about? Where do these expectations and regulations come from? I can't help but ask is having this list good, or is it bad, are my motive pure, am I trying to limit God? All the questions can be asnswer with a maybe, except that I cannot limit God, just refuse to accept what He gives me.

I do find that if my list matches God's list, that is best. When my "list" matches God's, it does help me to wait for God's best, rather than compromise.

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

No comments: