On a recent trip home, my dad took off an afternoon from work and we went driving. On this drive we stopped at some memorable places and reminisced. I wanted to share these places and some stories that come to mine as part of my Turning 30 series. I hope you enjoy it!
This is the first home I remember living in. My parents moved there when I was about 6 months old. I lived there until I was 15. Looking at this house brings back a lot of memories:
- There is a swimming pool, screened in back porch, and built on bedroom and bathroom that I watched go up in the back.
- My first bedroom was the second window from the right. This bedroom I would share with my great-grandmother or great-great aunt. My bird's cage was at that window so Zach could look out at the sky. (I just now realize how cruel that was.)
- My brother was late coming home one night and my dad was sitting in between the two garage doors waiting for him.
- When I was first learning to drive, I drove mom's van into the middle of the yard. I couldn't understand why the car was not going straight when the steering wheel was straight up and down (of course it was turned around a whole turn... oh well... I drive much better now).
- In the last room on the front is where my family gathered to say our farewells to my adopted sister, whose mother came and took her back.
- In the room behind the front porch was the piano where I first learn to play music. First the piano, then the cello.
- Four houses to the left was where my best-friend, Barry, lived.
- Recording a brief film clip of our version of the Hobbit in the woods behind the house.
- So many Christmases, Birthdays, and a family dinner every night!
These are just the first that come to mind. There are many many more. What a great home this was!