Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Nugget of Truth: Martian Child


Ok... I know I have not been writing much. Just a lot to process these days. But I have seen some rather incredible movies lately. So... bringing back the Nugget of Truth.

In this story a widower adopts a little boy who thinks he is from Mars. The guy is a science-fiction writer and he and his wife put in for adoption, then she died. The guy decides to adopted this little boy anyway... seeing much of his own childhood in him. About half-way through the movie there is an exchange where the little boy, Dennis, comes into the fathers', David's, study and breaks something. Here is the exchange:

Dennis (the boy): You're gonna send me away aren't you?
David (the father): Dennis, why would I send you away?
Dennis: Because you're mad at me because I broke your stuff.
David: Dennis, I don't care about any of that stuff. This is stuff. There is nothing you could ever do that would change the way I feel.

This exchange just reminded me of how we so often deal with God. He entrusts us with dominion of the things of this world... the stuff. We keep breaking them. But no matter how much we break them... it is still just stuff. Nothing we can do will make God love us less. (Thanks Rob Bell- Nooma video Lump.)

1 comment:

Danielle said...

Good nugget.