Saturday, March 29, 2008

Nugget of Truth: Dan in Real Life


"There's rightness in our wrongness."

Not only is that a great line from the movie, but describes this movie well. This movie details the life of a single father. He has three daughters ages 17, 15, and 11. The movie emphasizes the "realness" of life as a single parent. From his struggle to get chores and work done, to his struggle to put his children first, and his struggle of being lonely. Where the quote come in that it is a great representation of a single dad, but it is also a movie. There are other aspects of single parenting that it fantasies. (Spoiler alert) In 3 days he, his daughters, and extended family fall in love with a woman along with other things.

But it was so refreshing to see a film that portrayed singleness so realistically. It did so through the story, but more so visually. There were moments where there would be 19 people in the screen then seconds later it would be Dan in the screen alone. Part of the rightness in the wrongness is that as a single person you can feel so alone even when surrounded by so many people (even people who love you). This happens to many (even if you are not single). Loneliness sneaks up on us and is so real.

This reminds me how important it is to turn to the Lord in these times.

Psalm 25:15-17
15 My eyes are ever on the LORD,
for only he will release my feet from the snare.
16 Turn to me and be gracious to me,
for I am lonely and afflicted.
17 The troubles of my heart have multiplied;
free me from my anguish.

No comments: