Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Nugget of Truth: Akeelah and the Bee



This was an amazing movie! About an 11 year old girl from South Los Angeles (they don't call it South Central anymore) who loves to spell. The nuggest of truth is long, but a line that repeats in the movie... and definately got me thinking. There were so many to choose from but I pick this:

(Akeelah reading a quote from an unnamed source) Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate; our greatest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, "Who am I to be brillant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?" Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is whitin us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.

I know I fall into this trap of underestimating myself. There are times when I lack confidence and sell myself short. I forget what a brillant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous person I am. When I am not doing what I was created to do... I am not shining like I can. We have all heard the saying, actions speak louder than words. Words are so important (especially in this film), but backing up those words with a shining life truly manifest the power and glory of God to its highest level in your life. My prayer for you is that you shine. Know that you are a brillant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous person! (And wise b/c you read my posts.) By being that wonderful person you are, you inspire others. So let's go be fabulous together!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"When I am not doing what I was created to do... I am not shining like I can"... this sounds a lot like something I've heard before at a certain church. Also related to a certain study we'll be starting this week ;-)

TiNA said...

What could you possibly be talking about?? What church?? I wish you would have SHAPEd the comment better. It was too confusing.

Sircellan said...

I saw this movie on the plane on the way back to the UK this August. It had me in tears a few times. The girl next to me (a young Canadian science teacher and rugby player from Twickenham) said after she watched it, "Wasn't that such a tear jerker?" Nice film anyway.

Anonymous said...

Actually, Tina, I have always seen you shine. The first time I saw you, at the first young professionals brainstorming meeting, you totally stood out. I LOVED your comments. There was something humble yet sweetly self-assured about you... funny how others can see it.