Monday, September 18, 2006

Nugget of Truth: Take the Lead



Take the Lead was an interesting movie. It is not the best dance movie I have ever seen. Save the Last Dance, Center Stage, any Fred Astaire or Gene Kelly movie out does it, but the movie does still hold some great lines, moves (especially the tango at the end), and themes. I was having trouble picking between two themes. One had to do with the title. The main character (played by Antonio Banderas) makes sure to communicate to a couple that dancing is not about man leading women, but man leading and woman accepting to go on the journey. That one was too obivous, so here is your Nugget of Truth:

(a student is saying to Pierre, Antonio Banderas, the dance instructor as he observes the class)
"Look, I know how you love to talk about romance and magic and two bodies moving as one and everything. But let me see if I can make you understand something... she likes you."

This moment just reminded me of how we get so caught up in our life, our passions, our goals. It takes an innocent voice to wake us up to what is around us. I know I can easily loose sight of the bigger picture. The more I focus on me, the less I focus on God and what He cares about. It is so freeing to know that God is God and I am not. But as I live day to day... I have to take the blinders off... and see what others around me are feeling. We were made to shine, but as a light in the darkness, not a spotlight on self. Lord, help me to better discern the feelings and needs of those around me. Make my actions glorify You, not me. May I decrease, so that You increase.

"He [Jesus] must become greater; I must become less." John 3:30 (NIV)

No comments: