Thursday, May 29, 2008

Nugget of Truth: My Big Fat Greek Wedding

After a Lord of the Rings marathon, I decided to do a major change up and watch My Big Fat Greek Wedding.
After going out on a date Ian and Tula are standing on a bridge trying to get to know one another better. It comes down to this exchange.

Tula: You're (pause) wonderful. But I just don't see how this is going to work out.
Ian: Work out? What's to work out? We're not a different species. Yes, we come from different backgrounds and hey, here's some news abotu my life, to this point. It's boring. Then I met you and you're interesting, and you're beautiful and fun. You've got a weird family. Who doesn't? I just want to spend some time with you. I just want to spend a little time with you.
Tula: Do you say I'm beautiful?

That is a turning point in the movie and in Tula's life. How powerful it is when a man says to a woman that she is beautiful. It is something we as women long to hear more than anything. Today as I was looking in the Bible I saw many women described as beautiful: Sarah, Rebekah, Esther, Abigail, Tamar, Bathseba and more. Amazing women that God used in His story of Salvation. I felt for Leah, who was compared to her sister Rebekah and not seen as beautiful. We all want to be beautiful.

The Bible also reminded me that beauty is fleeting and should come from your inner self.

Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised. Proverbs 31:30
Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight. 1 Peter 3:3-4


There are many women who are so beautiful and no one acknowledges it. This brings me to Song of Solomon. Did you know that 14 times in this book the lover tells his beloved that she is beautiful (in the NIV translation). This song can be interpreted as a allegory for Christ and His bride, the church. If this is true... what a beautiful picture of how Christ sees us. Christ tells us 14 times as a member of His church we are beautiful.

I know where I am opening my Bible next time I feel ugly and unloved!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is so true. I am sure many women willbe blessed by what you have shared here.... God bless you.