Thursday, January 03, 2008

Turning 30 - Part 3

Morningside Baptist Church:

When I was towards the end of 2nd grade my family started going to a new church. I went to this church through high school and would visit it when I came home on weekends from college.

What I remember most about this church was how many opportunities it gave me to be a musician. David Penninger who was the minister of music when we started took me under his wing. He taught me how to be a better singer. I made the state choir and sang lots of solos. David even wrote a Christmas song for me one year that he and I sang as a duet. He died not long after that, and I stopped singing as much. I fell back on the cello and handbells.

I did not fit in as well as my brother in the youth program here, but I do remember going on amazing mission trips. My favorite was to Indianapolis because my parents were a part of it. There was also a really cool theater organ at a pizza place we went to :) One of my brother's best friend met his future wife on this trip. She was one of the people working where we were serving.

I am grateful to this church for taking care of me from 2nd to 12th grade. I did meet a ton of wonderful people here and learned to love and pray for missionaries.

No comments: