Saturday, June 30, 2007

The Good Girl: A nun in street clothes

From the author who brought you the opening chapters of "The Elephant's Ready... Let's get eating!" and the Famous Nuggets of Truth blog column now comes the opening ideas for her new book attempt: "The Good Girl".

Excerpt:

It seems like I have been a good girl all my life: a good daughter, a good sister, a good friend, a good employee, a good boss, a good Christian, a good girl. I hope to add to that list one day a good girlfriend, a good wife, and a good mother. As I think about it though I feel like a nun in street clothes, without the career stability. Do not get me wrong, I am not saying I am perfect, I am far from it. I have been bad on occasion, but overall I have toed the line.

The question I have to ask myself, is why have I been so good? It is because I was never presented some of the opportunities that caused others to be "bad"? I have never been offered illegal drugs. I have never had a boyfriend or guy ask to have sex with me. No one has even offered me a cigarette. People just all knew I was good and would say no. So though I cannot see the nuns clothing, I guess they can.


Ok... what do you think? SHould I continue writing? Where should it go?

2 comments:

Sircellan said...

It's fine so far. What angle will you take next? Is it frustration at the clothing? Is it looking back at the goodness of God protecting you and guiding you? Is it the struggle of wondering what God has planned for your life?

Was it a conscious choice to always be good or was it behaviour that was expected, so you acted in the 'good' way?

TiNA said...

You hit on a few of what I was thinking from was it a conscious choice and looking back it was the goodness of God, not myself protecting and guiding me :)