Tuesday, April 20, 2010

You're Not Alone

I wrote this blog a while back, but when i went to read it again... it deactivated it and made me repost. weird.. guess that is a flaw in the app. But wanted to repost.

Wrote this for our church blog... thought I would post here (since I haven't posted in forever)

Yesterday I was digging through boxes looking for a piece I wrote in college. In my searching I ran across a song I wrote based on a George Eliot quote. Here is the quote:

There is much pain that is quite noiseless; and vibrations that make human agonies a mere whisper in the roar of hurrying existence. There are glances of hatred that stab and raise no cry of murder and robberies that leave man or woman forever beggared of peace and joy, kept secret by the sufferer - committed to no sound except that of low moans in the night, seen in no writing except that made on the face by the slow months of suppressed anguish and early morning tears. Many an inherited sorrow that has marred a life has been breathed into no human ear.

In college I saw this quote as a call to arms. As a Christian it is my job to love others and love God. I can believe that, but how do I act on that. There are two ways I decided to act so that the quote above does not happen to those around me.

1. I speak. I share. I do not remain silent. When I share my pain, others will know they are not alone in their pain. I do not allow my sorrows to just be low moans in the night or tears no one sees. I write, I call, I facebook, I reach out to those who God has put in my path. I know this takes a vulnerability that makes me uncomfortable, but God blesses that and teaches me in that.

2. I notice. I care. I try to know my friends so well that I can tell when something is off. I ask. If someone seems down, I check in with them. I ask if they are ok and I am prepared to hear "no" and listen. Drawing them out of that dark place and reminded them of the light. That is what we are called to do as Christians. If they don't know about Jesus, share!

I am not perfect. I get caught up in tasks, in life, in my own sorrows, and let opportunities to love pass by me often. But reading quotes like those above, reading in scriputure about the highs and lows of the Christian walk, remind me once again to look, notice, listen, and love others.


(quote from Felix Holt, the Radical, Introduction, 1866)
church site: www.fbccoppell.org

No comments: