Thursday, July 24, 2008

30 Days of Praise: Day 23 - Pain

Just read this blog post:
------------

Statement on the Death of Christopher Laurie, Son of Pastor Greg Laurie
July 24, 2008

Christopher Laurie, son of Pastor Greg Laurie and Cathe Laurie of Harvest Christian Fellowship in Riverside, Calif., died this morning in a car accident in Riverside. A resident of Huntington Beach, Laurie, 33, served as the art director at Harvest Christian Fellowship for the past three years.

In addition to his parents, Christopher is survived by his wife, Brittany, and daughter, Stella, as well as his brother Jonathan. Christopher and his wife are expecting another daughter in November.

Memorial plans for Christopher are pending. More information will be posted at harvest.org as details become available.

------------

I did not know this man. I did not know his family. I did almost every weekday in college listen to his father's radio show on the way home from work. I would stay in the car even if I were home in my driveway, to listen to the whole thing.

My heart aches for this family. For his wife, his daughter, his daughter on the way who will not meet her father until she is in heaven. My heart also has a peace for this family. I know this will be the toughest time they have ever and may ever face. But I know this family knows God. They know that their father, husband, son, brother is safely in His Father's arms. I know this pain will make Greg Laurie a better man, a better evangelist, a better husband, a better father, a better grandfather, a better pastor. God does not waste a hurt. It is during those times of deepest pain that we have the greatest growth spiritually. It is during those times we must turn like never before to God, for the very reason that we don't feel like it. During times of pain our focus is so often us, where God wants and rewards when it is on Him.

I did post a short prayer on that blog post that I doubt anyone will read. It is number 1640 and reads simply:
Lord, I pray for this family. I praise God for Christopher’s life both earthly and eternal. Use this tragedy for Your glory, oh God. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.

No comments: