Sunday, October 21, 2007

Nugget of Truth: Rent

I will first preface this post with these thoughts. Rent is a wonderful musical and movie. It does deal with taboo subjects like homosexuality, drug abuse, poverty, and aids (with some profanity thrown in there). So it is not for all audiences, especially the young or closed minided ones. What I do like about it, is how it shows the humanity behind each of these topics. I do not agree with the conclusions, the practices, or the beliefs in the film, but it is a powerful story of friendship and love as only the world can understand it. With that said... on to the nugget :)


Last night at the opening service of our 40 Days of Purpose campaign Rick Warren mentioned how we will live forever. How this life is like a vapor, a dust only a taste of the next. Later that night as I was trying to calm down from the day and was flipping through channels, I landed on Rent. I did not stay there for long, just a few minutes. But is was at the part just after (oh... this is a spoiler!) Angel's funeral. The friends have come back together for this and as they walk away from the grave side begin bickering. Collins comes up and says:

"You said you'd be cool today, for my sake. I can't believe he's gone. (Looks over to Roger) I can't believe your going. (Looks around at everyone) I can't believe this family must end."

Ok. That has always been a tender moment in the film, but for some reason I cannot get it out of my head today. I think that has more to tdo with the juxaposition of those two thoughts. It is sad when families end. Whether due to divorce, death, or like in this case of friends, life changes. I think it is so beautiful that though a family may die, we do not.

"For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that who so ever believes in Him should not die, but have eternal life." John 3:16

Sure, families on this earth will end. But once I became a child of God, I joined a family that would never end. How awesome is that!

No comments: