Thursday, December 31, 2009

To Dog or Not To Dog? That is the big question...

So... I keep going back and forth on whether or not to get a dog. I have had two dogs in my life, Louie and Bert. Louie was an office dog at the ecommerce company I worked at. For about 6 months he would come to work with his owners, entertain the office, then go home with them at the end of the day. To Louie, I was the serious person. If he wanted to rest or go to the bathroom, needed food or water... he would come to me. Everyone else was good for a rub down or some rough play, but I was the "mother" type to him.
Bert is my parent's dog. He is a major sweetheart!! The kindest and most easy going pup I have ever seen. Though my dad wins out on his attention when home, when my dad is out, Bert is in my lap and can never be rubbed enough.

I see how these dogs added to the lives they touched. I also see the amount of time and work and money that goes into owning them. I really want the companionship of a dog... but I want it on my schedule. I don't know if choosing a dog that longs for me, yet leaving him/her in a yard all day is fair. We'll see.

1 comment:

Marti said...

You should take one of those dog personality quizzes that matches you with the dog that fits your lifestyle. I think dogs are like kids, they don't fit your schedule you fit theirs.