Friday, June 26, 2009

The Importance of a "Good" Bye

As my life is once again transitioning... as I am taking the next step in this faith journey, I am having to say a lot of goodbyes: to people, places, and circumstances. Goodbyes are never easy. You never know which are temporary and which are eternal. But I think most of all, they need to be good. Not easy, if they are easy, they are not good.

When you leave someone and something you love, it should not be an easy task. If it is, was it truly love? As I head to Texas, I am excited to see what God has in store for me there. I already have friends and people I love there, but all of that has been under a fog of sadness because of how good my byes has been in California. I am glad leaving has been so hard. It tells me that I poured out my heart and soul into this place and the people here.

As my mom travels out, the reality of it all is hitting me. The vacation is over... the goodbyes are almost all said.

By being intentional, encouraging and even sad... I hope people will remember how much I love them. They will remember my patience, my kindness, that I was not envious or proud. I hope they remember that I did not boast and was not rude or self-seeking. I do not want to be remembered as an angry person, but one who keep no records of wrongs. Remember me as someone who did not delight in evil, but always rejoiced with the truth. That I protected them, trusted them and pointed them towards hope. Most of all, I pray I never failed them. That is how I shrived to love them, because that is how God loves me.

I can't think of a better "good" bye than loving like that.

No comments: