Sunday, April 19, 2009

What God is Teaching Me...

I know I haven't been blogging lately. Sorry about that. I have been writing more in my journal instead. I am ready to share one of those entries.

The difference between humility and timidity
a reflection on 2 Tim 1:6-7

"For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline."


I have been really challenged by this verse as of late. I know that I have talents and skills that those around me do not possess. I have two options on how to approach using those talents: timidity or humility.

Observations:
- Denying or hiding my talents... timidity
- Using these gifts without holding them over the heads of others... humility
- Admitting the gifts I do not possess and encouraging others that have them... humility
- Holding back from doing my best due to anxiety or fear... timidity
- Not wanting to share my gifts and be lazy... timidity
- Using my skills even when I don't want to b/c I know something needs to be done... humility
- The opposite of strength, power, love, and self discipline... timidity
- The opposite of pride... humility

Timidity seeps from me. It is my reaction to pride, fear, worry and those are not from God. Lord forgive me for my doubts, my fears, for stressing when You have everything under Your control. Help me to live life with Your gift of a spirit of strength, power, love, and self-discipline. Help me to truly fan into flames the gifts you have given me while I help and encourage others to do the same with the gifts you have given them. Amen.

No comments: