Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veteran's Day Prayer

I wrote this for my work blog and thought I would include it here.


As I reflect on Veterans day, my thoughts go to my father. He served two terms in Vietnam. My thoughts go to a co-worker's daughter who heads to the middle east in a few weeks for her second time. I think of my grandfather who served during World War II as part of a naval fleet. I think of my mother who had to send off her boyfriend, then husband to war. I think of my co-worker who is desperately praying for her daughter's safety. I picture my grandmother at the Point Loma lighthouse watching her husbands' ship fade into the horizon. These are my heros.

Rick Warren says, "A hero is someone who does something for someone else at personal sacrifice."

We have heros that walk amongst us and I am grateful for a day to focus our attention and prayers on them.

Heavenly Father,
Today, I pray for those who have stepped out and have personally sacrificed for their country. I ask for a blessing on all those who have served their country in the armed forces. I also ask a blessing on those who have sent a loved one or who currently have a loved one serving. I ask for healing physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually to all who are touched by war. Help us to honor veterans all days, not just today, as the heros they are. O Prince of Peace, we ask for reconcilation and Your love to abound in this world. In Jesus name we pray. Amen.

No comments: